GOULDING FAM

GOULDING FAM

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Pattern for Pillowcase Dress


step 1 Measure your child from the shoulder to the desired length of the dress. measure this distance on your pillowcase from the open end, and cut straight across. this cut edge will be the top of the dress.


step 2 On each side of the pillowcase, at the cut edge, draw armscyes (that is the dressmaker term for armhole). The shape is like a letter “J” with the top of the J at the cut edge of the pillowcase. For a small child, it should be about 3″ deep, for a larger child make it 4″ deep.


step 3 Fold the two top edges 1/4″ to the inside and press (don’t worry about making it exact–just get close enough). fold down and press these edges again, this time 3/4″. Doing this double turn makes the finished edge neat. Stitch along the first fold, from one end to the other, forming a tunnel (this is known as a casing).


step 4 Cut your elastic into two 6″ pieces. Attach a safety pin to one end of one piece and use that to thread the elastic through one of the casings. As you thread the elastic, the casing will draw up, forming a stretchy neckline. You’ll need to pin the other end of the elastic when it gets to the casing so that it doesn’t come all the way out. Stitch across the open end of each casing to hold your elastic in place. Repeat with the other elastic and casing. stitch across the open end of each casing to hold your elastic in place.


step 5 You’re almost done! Cut two pieces of binding, each 28″ long. You’ll notice that the binding is folded lopsided–one side is wider than the other. This is to help make sure you get both sides stitched. Always stitch with the narrow side of the binding facing up and you can be sure you’re catching the back side as well.Slip one armscye edge into the fold of one of the binding pieces, leaving about 10″ or so overhanging the top - these form the ties. Pin as much as you feel you need to in order to keep things neat. Beginning at one end of the binding, start stitching along the free edge, continuing all the way around the armscye and to the other end of the binding. Repeat for the other armscye.Instead of the binding, you can fold a casing (as you did earlier in step 4) and thread a piece of narrow ribbon 28” long into each of the arm holes, tying into a bow at the top. Once the ribbon is threaded through, sew a couple of stitches at the side seam to keep the ribbon from being pulled all the way out.


step 6 Sew some ribbon or rick rack approx 3 ½ - 4” from the lower edge, catching the original envelope opening of the pillowcase so that it doesn’t catch when your child puts the dress/top on.That’s it! The hem is already finished for you.

5 comments:

Morgan said...

After reading your blog earlier, I did some googling and found these same directions. I am going to try this out this weekend and really hope I don't screw it up!!! I am most nervous about the arm holes, were they hard?

Thanks so much! I am going to be using your pictures as a guide too! :)

Kimi said...

Sami and I made some of these last year out of dollar fabric from Walmart. They were super easy and cute!

Nick said...

Remember that last time you tried something like this?

The Foisy's said...

Hellooooooooo, Hey its Savannah!! I found your blog from the Martins. Your family is so dang cute! And the view from your front porch is amazing. We moved to Vegas, you wouldn't want to see the view from our front porch. Ugh!! So I read how much you run. Your lucky, if I went running around these parts, I probably wouldn't make it home. It's not safe around here. How is your fam doing in Georgia?

Bec said...

that is cute!! good for you! to bad I can't use it! So I just have been reading your blog since I needed to catch up...and I can't even believe how big sienna is!! that is so crazy! she is going to pass her big sister up in only a matter of months the way she is growing! But I love the rolls! so cute!